Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Day 3

You know those days... The ones that people mention as some sort of nebulous point of time past. One of those days. You know the ones I mean, right? Well I WISH TO HELL today was one of those days, 'cause that would be a massive fucking improvement on the day I have had today!

There comes a point when one is confronted with a heavy work-load that seems unavoidable where you just want to walk up to your boss, hand in your keys and other work related paraphernalia and say: "Since you seem to think that YOU can do my job better that I can (and you know that no one can - or will), you've got it. I'm done with this shit, this place, and above all, I'm done with you. Screw my last paycheck, my extra vacation pay, my overtime in arrears, and lastly - screw you! I'm leaving right now; if you want to stop me, you had better have a gun, because you are going to have to SHOOT ME!"

One of those days.

It occurs to me that there are two kinds of employers. The first kind selects the best possible candidates for the positions they have, give them a specific task, and then get out of their way. Nuff said. The second kind tends to give vague instructions (at best - at worst they give self-contradictory ones), and is never satisfied with the work you do, and will ultimately try to make sure that it gets done the way they would do it. Looking over your shoulder every step of the way, or worse, 'reminding' you every 5 minutes to get it done, when it isn't really that critical, and you have more important things to work on.

It's funny. I am still employed, and - for the foreseeable future - I still intend to go to work, but that iron resolve is slowly eroding under the onslaught of an emotionally corrosive work environment; and it really is a coin toss whether I will just walk away in disgust, or simply endure as a soulless automaton. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Bitter Chris said...

RUN!!!
Having never felt better about my decision to leave, and now working with another who feels the same way, I can, with good concience advise you to jump ship post haste my good friend. you will have no trouble finding gainful and happy employment elsewhere. There is no percentage working for a souless, petty and tyranical person anymore. CMS

Unknown said...

Johnny as a fellow employee working the same crap u do, i applaud u in the courage to leave where, i will pressumably fail, fer my efforts towards a better end will ultimatly take longer then expected, for u to finally hold ur ground and leave after being at that place for so long is an accomplishment, and you will feel a heavy burden arise from your crown, live happy and live lond, later days, ill miss ya friend :P LUKE