Monday, August 10, 2015

Here Be Monsters - Chapter 30

     "Why the hell not?"  Alex demanded hotly, as she got up off the bed.  "I can't believe that you won't trust me to understand, so at least have the decency to say why!"
     Alex realized that she was losing her temper, but right now she just couldn't find the available detachment to care.  If Dirk wanted her to back down, then he would have to meet her half way, and explain why he had refused to tell her what they had discovered on the colony ship.
     She had waited in nail biting anxiety when the survey team had gone silent, and her mind had forced her imagination into some very dark corners.  It had never occurred to her that she might still be in the dark after everyone had made it back safely.  The idea was uncomfortably novel, and on a ship with a crew the size of the Jester's, it led to all sorts of wild gossip.
     She just wanted the truth, but it wasn't coming from Dirk as she'd hoped.
     "I can't,  Alex, I just... can't.  I won't insult your intelligence by telling you that it's for your own good, but I am going to ask you - beg you - to trust me when I say that telling you wouldn't put your mind at ease."  He said imploringly.
     Alex stood there, arms crossed in front of her, and considered what she had just heard.  The idea of him begging for anything, even her trust, was so totally unprecedented that she was momentarily dumbstruck.  She tried to think of an appropriate response, but her mind just kept spinning in circles, and the silence between the two of them stretched out uncomfortably.  She decided to give it one last try.
     "You want me to trust you, yet you don't seem to want to trust me.  How is that fair?"  She demanded, frustrated with her inability to sway him.
     He got up off the edge of the bed, crossed the room, took her by the shoulders and looked her in the eyes.  He did it so suddenly that she jumped involuntarily, and the look in his eyes was one she couldn't readily identify.
     "It's not fair, Alex, but I give you my word that knowing the details won't make it better.  Ask me for anything else, but let this lie.  Please?"  He pleaded in near desperation.
     She looked at him for several moments before the gravity of what he had just said finally registered.
     "Anything?"  She asked in disbelief.
     "Anything."  Dirk affirmed, relief in his voice.
     "OK, Marine," she said coyly, "if this plan of the Captain's works out, we are going to spend our bonuses to take a long, well deserved, vacation.  Deal?"  She paused long enough for him to respond.
     "I promise.  Anyplace in particular you had in mind?"  He asked, smiling.
     She couldn't believe her luck, and she exploited the opening.
     "Yeah:  Home, to Nova Sol.  I'm going to introduce you to my parents.  Oh, and you will indulge my public displays of affection."  She smiled, and patted him on the cheek before crossing to the door to the bathroom, leaving him standing in the middle of the room, with a stunned look on his face.
     "Wait, you - what did - I can't - just...  Wait... Your parents?"  Dirk stammered incoherently.
     She turned back just before closing the door.  "Bet you wish you'd told me what was on that colony ship now; but I really think my folks are going to enjoy meeting you."  She said, with a teasing edge of malicious enjoyment.
     Seeing the look on his face, she almost felt bad for him.
     Almost.

No comments: